The Global Scholar experience has three pillars:
- Exploring what it means to be a global citizen. We believe that being a global citizen includes both striving to understand global issues, and taking action to address them. The experience starts with deep thinking about how we can show up, speak out, and get involved, with the assumption that we all have a role to play in designing our shared future.
- Understanding the greatest global challenges facing our generation. Global Scholars take a deep dive into the greatest global challenges facing us today through seminars with experts working on the front lines of these issues. We’ll explore: climate change; the global economy and inequality; global security; immigration and refugees; human rights, including the rights of women, LGBTQ+ and indigenous peoples; and key challenges facing youth including access to education and unemployment. We also unpack the global system and key actors including the United Nations, the G8, the World Bank, corporations, foundations, civil society, social movements, and of course: youth!
- Building skills to be bold and visionary leaders. This is the glue to the Global Scholar experience. Our Action Lab workshop series offers Scholars the tools, space and support to explore what it means to be a leader, build skills to engage others around issues they care about, and expand their skill set for taking action, whether through engaging a decision maker, organizing an event, launching a campaign or social enterprise, and more. Scholars put these skills into practice through daily challenges and a final project, and have access to ongoing coaching and small-grant funding to support that project throughout the coming year.
Our programs prioritize:
- Seminars with experts
- Small group discussions
- Interactive workshops that emphasize hands-on activities, critical thinking, and problem solving
- Building lifelong learning skills including the importance of reflection, dialogue, self-care, and creative expression
Scroll down for additional highlights!