Americans for Informed Democracy/AMP Global Youth is seeking a Coordinator for Global Scholar, our groundbreaking and intensive two-week academic enrichment program that offers rising high school juniors and seniors the chance to sharpen their understanding of international affairs and leadership skills in a university setting. Find out more at www.globalscholar.org.
The Coordinator will provide program and logistical support during the July 17 – 29, 2016 session. He/she will support the curriculum, students and logistics of the program. The ideal candidate will also be able to facilitate occassional sessions on global issues like poverty and climate change, as well as skillbuilding workshops. (Note: outside speakers and experts will present material during these sessions.)
This is an intensive but fun experience for an individual interested in global affairs and youth leadership. Successful candidates will have experience with leading residential trips / programs, as well as with the content of the Global Scholar program.
Responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing logistics of two two-week sessions for high school students, including: transportation, meals, housing, field trips and more.
- Ensuring participants are following all safety and behavioral guidelines.
- Ensuring Global Scholar agreement with facilities is upheld at all times, including housing, meals and classrooms.
- Ensuring that workshop speakers have all necessary information, and that room and equipment are in place, etc.
- Facilitating learning activities; although other staff and speakers will provide content, the Coordinator should make connections between issues, facilitate conversation, welcome and thank speakers, etc.
- Serving as friend / parent / counsel for high school students who may be traveling away from home and family for the first time.
Relevant skills and experiences:
- Experience overseeing groups, trips, camps, conferences or equivalent of young people, for example as a camp counselor, RA, etc.
- Significant experience handling event logistics, including speakers, meals and facilities.
- Enough experience with global issues and advocacy to lead group discussions on these topics.
- Excellent personal and communications skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
Hours, Pay and Benefits: This is a one-time, contract position. The Coordinator will work July 17 – 29, as well as 2-3 days in early July and/or August to finalize program details and wrap up evaluations (days are flexible). The Coordinator will live in university housing with Global Scholar participants. Meals will be provided. Salary will depend on hours worked and experience.
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. Successful applicants will be asked to complete a background check.
Americans for Informed Democracy / AMP Global Youth is a national student organization that amplifies the story, voice and power of global youth. Find out more at www.ampglobalyouth.org and/or www.globalscholar.org