Join the AMP Global Youth team as a summer coordinator for our popular Global Scholar program, which prepares youth to be visionary leaders and bold changemakers around urgent global challenges. Global Scholar is an 11-day program that welcomes high school-aged students from across the US. This year the program will be virtual.
The program coordinator oversees the general running of the program, including seminars with speakers, training workshops, and student projects. This is a great position for someone interested in global education, foreign policy, leadership, social change and youth development. Successful candidates will have experience leading similar programs, trips, clubs or courses. The ideal candidate will also be able to facilitate conversations on global issues like poverty and climate change, as be comfortable helping students practice skills like team building and public speaking.
The Coordinator will work with two sessions of the program in late June and July, for a total of 22-25 days. This includes several days of facilitation and leadership training prior to the start of the program. They will work on a team including the Program Director, Trainers, Facilitators and interns.
- Coordinating two 11-day sessions for high school students, including learning and logistics.
- Facilitating student learning. Coordinator will connect the dots between readings, speakers and assignments for participants through daily wrap-up conversations, small-group breakouts, informally checking in with students, and more.
- Facilitating some sessions, for example speaker panels.
- Facilitating student discussion groups.
- Overseeing group social, energizing, and check-in moments.
- Supporting students in a virtual environment. This might include checking in with students individually, troubleshooting issues with group dynamics, developing engaging activities that help the group build relationships and have fun, and more.
- Coordinating technology and materials we’ll use throughout the program. This includes making sure all sessions are set up and ready to start on time, ensuring student materials and assignments are posted and accessible, etc.
- Ensuring participants are following all safety and behavioral guidelines.
Skills and Qualifications Needed:
- Experience working with student groups, trips, camps, conferences or equivalent of young people, for example as a camp counselor, RA, etc.
- Experience handling event logistics, including speakers and technology.
- Enough experience with international / public affairs to lead group discussions on these topics.
- Excellent personal and communications skills. Coordinator must be flexible, patient, and able to think quickly on her/his feet.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Fun and willing to serve as a mentor to very excited young leaders.
Hours, Pay and Benefits: This is a contract position for the month of July, and includes 3-4 days training prior to the start of the program (timing flexible). Salary range is equivalent to $40-$45,000/year, depending on experience.
TO APPLY: Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the positions are filled.
Americans for Informed Democracy / AMP Global Youth is a national student organization that amplifies the story, voice and power of global youth. Find out more at www.ampglobalyouth.org and/or www.globalscholar.org