Get ready for another amazing summer learning about global challenges and building the skills you need to take action.
Global Scholar is an intensive global leadership program for high school students who are eager to build a more peaceful, just and sustainable world. We believe that today’s leaders must possess a firm understanding of global challenges, be confident in their ability to mobilize others, and have the skills and opportunities to make change happen. Global Scholar is unique in that it provides all three, in a really interactive, substantive and fun package!
In 2013, Global Scholar will once again be based at American University in beautiful Washington, D.C. The session will take place from July 14-28, 2013.
Program highlights include:
- Seminars with policy experts on key global challenges like security, climate change, and the rights of women and girls. Last summer we met with Heather Hurlburt, the Executive Director of the National Security Network, Steve Grand, the Director of the U.S. Relations with the Islamic World Project at the Brookings Institute, and many more. See a list of seminars on the Global Scholar website.
- Visits to embassies, Capitol Hill, think tanks and other D.C. institutions. In 2012, Scholars met the Ambassadors from Afghanistan, Bahrain and Niger, toured the World Bank, USAID and State Department, and met with their Senator’s offices on Capitol Hill to discuss foreign policy challenges include the global food crisis and child marriage.
- Workshops on leadership, communications, advocacy and policymaking. Led by expert youth organizers, the workshops are a highlight of the program. Scholars leave with an extensive toolkit they can put to use right away on their campuses or in their communities. See a list of workshops on the Global Scholar website.
- A campaign competition, which gives Scholars the valuable opportunity to practice many of their new skills.
- And of course, exploring beautiful Washington D.C. in the summertime! Last year we visited the Smithsonian Museums, went to a Nationals Game, and checked out some local theater.
Global Scholar is the only summer program on global issues that offers a robust mix of both seminars and skillbuilding; we believe that students shouldn’t just get informed, they should get activated to build a better world. Find out more online at www.globalscholar.org.
Last year, our participants reported amazing increases in their understanding of global challengses, and their confidence as leaders. One hundred percent of parents surveyed are glad they sent their child to the program.
Scholars have furthermore demonstrated amazing successes following the program. Recent Scholars have been accepted to prestigious schools across the country. One of our 2011 Scholars is now the President of the Freshman Class at Columbia University. A 2012 Scholar is now the Coordinator of the AIDemocracy network (our parent organization), while also attending a joint BA/MD program at Brooklyn College. And many of our graduates have stayed involved with AIDemocracy following the conclusion of the program. We’re particularly proud of that fact, given the focus of this program is to inspire action on the long-term!
FIND OUT MORE: WWW.GLOBALSCHOLAR.ORG